This year, I’m not feeling Christmasy at all. I have no money. An essay due in the second week of January. But mostly I am heartsick and missing Lianne.
Lianne loved Christmas. She always gave elaborate presents, dressed up in festive jumpers or reindeer horns, and was the always the last woman standing after the drunken debauchery on Xmas eve. Now she is gone, but never forgotten, I needed something anything to get me in the Christmassy mood. So with her old advent calendar He Who Shall Not Be Named and I are taking it in turns to treat each other to some presents. Although there are one or two mini presents, in the most part we’ve focused on advent activities to get us in the Christmas spirit. Here’s what we doing if you want to play along at home:
1. Nom some chocolate coins
2. Write a list to Father Christmas. Have you been naughty or nice?
3. Eat a satsuma to help alleviate scurvy gained from living off sherry and mince pies over the holidays.
4. Put up a ribbon sash for Christmas cards. Detangle cat from ribbon sash.
5 .Make a wreath. Pinterest as ever is your homegirl, for any tutorials.
6. Look at old photos of Christmases past and reminisce. (This one made me sob a lot. But in a healthy cathartic way. HWSNBN: *comes into room, clocks me crying* are you OK. Me: Y-YYYes. Fiinne)
7. Make gingerbread men. Devour gingerbread men headfirst. Feel guilty for cannabilistic intentions
8. Write Christmas cards
9. Decorate the tree
10. Buy a Christmas jumper. (Yes, I am not crafty enough to knit on. Don’t judge me!)
11. Make hot chocolate, snuggle up and watch your favourite Christmas. Think Elf vs Home Alone. Muppet Christmas Carol vs It’s a Wonderful World. Miracle on 34th street vs Die Hard. http://www.empireonline.com/features/30-best-christmas-movies/p30
13. Clean out your wardrobe and bookshelves and donate to a charity to prepare for all the presents.
14. Make mince pies
15. Wrap up Christmas presses
16. Listen to your favourite Christmas music. Are you a cheeseaholic or a christmas hipster?
17. Hang mistletoe in your house and kiss under it
18. Go iceskating
19. Wrap up warm and walk around the neighbourhood voting on the best/tackiest Christmas lights
20. Drink mulled cider. Like you need an excuse.
21. Watch the burning of the clocks. This is a Brighton-centric thing. Nowhere else makes giant paper mache clocks and throws them in the sea to celebrate the longest night.
22. Go to a carol service. I love in the Bleak Midwinter
23. Put on jammies and snuggle up in bed. Not long to go now…
24. Drink lots while clad in sequins. Because this year I’m doing Christmas, Joan Collins style
Any advent activities planned? Let me know in the comments.